Monday, January 28, 2008

Thing 15

Wikki! I just like the name.

It has great potential for academic use. I think that it is good that it can be public or private. It would have to be controlled to a certain degree just to make sure that it stays on topic. Grade level teachers & librarians could easily pool resources using a wikki, allowing access to the best of the best.

Sitting here my List Notebook comes to mind. As teachers have been going through CSI & teaching reading TEKS objectives, I have been collecting different lists of books that lend themselves to vocabulary, begginning, middle & end, inferencing etc. A Wikki would be a great place to compile those lists, that way others can add titles and grade level appropriatness, so that the same book is not used over & over each year.

A wikki would be a great pathfinder to access resources for research, it could take students places that they might not find on their own & student's could respond to their findings immediately. I liked the writer who said that when student's published to the web they more careful in their work & the work was a higher quaity. I don't think there is anyone who has a problem with that. I think it woud be important for parent's to be aware of the wikki and it's publication. I don't think you would want any surprises.

2 comments:

Zeeburt said...

I would love to have a "books for ..." compilation put together by MISD librarians! We're always asking each other for titles to help with different things. It would be great to put them in a central location and add to them as we find books that work. Oh how much time that could save. And...wouldn't we look so intelligent when we could just whip up titles instantly the next time we were asked! So who's going to design this wiki? I nominate one of those people who have already implemented some of these things into their library program. Any volunteers?

Ms. Mc.'s Message said...

I think it should be one of those go getters that had their 23 things done a couple of weeks ago.