Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thing 7

I never knew that Google had so many tools. There is so much that you can do to keep yourself informed on any topic imaginable. I set myself up on Google Alert. I am having myself alerted once a week about the news regarding ovarian cancer. As a survivor, I want to stay current on the advances in the treatment of this type of cancer. For school there are many possible uses. Alerts could be useful in science classes to track the most recent progress in different areas of studies. Librarians could use Alerts for news about favorite authors. Social Studies teachers could stay informed about current events.

I set myself up with my own personalized home page. I have set up music & joke updates. There is a daily nature photo that I will receive. I will continue to tweak the page until it has content that I really am completely interested in. There are some things that I would like to get rid of. This could really become a great source of information.

I can see a Google notebook as being a really useful tool. It could be a way to assemble articles
& ideas regarding education. You could have sections on classroom management, discipline, bulletin boards, research units, parent communication, learning centers. You could easily create a notebook for the library. You could have sections for Bluebonnet Books, Mockingbird Books, book promotion, collection development, research units, copy right issues, the list is endless. The beauty of it is that it is easily accessed & it eliminates the paper mess. Half of my daily battle is what to do with paper on my desk. I really would like to set a notebook up for myself & plan to do it soon.

No comments: